New Protected Bike Lanes
Augusta – Western to Milwaukee
- CDOT is proposing new protected bike lanes on Augusta Avenue from Western Avenue to Milwaukee Avenue. The project would also include pedestrian bumpouts and a 20 MPH speed limit. On June 8th, CDOT partnered with 2nd Ward Alderman Brian Hopkins and Christopher Columbus School to introduce the project to the community.
- Augusta Community Meeting Posters.
Belmont – Kimball to Western/Clybourn
- CDOT is proposing new protected bike lanes on Belmont Avenue from Kimball Avenue to Western Avenue/Clybourn Avenue. The project would be installed through arterial resurfacing and would also include a variety of pedestrian and transit improvements, including concrete curb extensions, refuges islands, new crosswalks, floating bus boarding islands with in-lane stops, and bus priority zones approaching major intersections. The new protected bike lanes will fill a significant gap in the bikeway network, providing a low-stress east/west connection over the Chicago River and intersect with upcoming protected bike lanes on Kedzie, the North Shore Channel Trail, and protected bike lanes on Campbell.
- Project Overview
Clark – Irving Park to Montrose
- CDOT is proposing new protected bike lanes on Clark Street from Irving Park to Montrose. The project would also include shortened pedestrian crossings, bus improvements, and a 20 MPH speed limit.
- On June 23, CDOT presented the project to the Graceland West Community Association.
- On June 28, CDOT hosted a virtual meeting with 46th Ward Alderman James Cappleman and 47th Ward Alderman Matt Martin.
Concrete Curb Upgrades
Central Park – Madison to Franklin
CDOT will implement protected bike lanes on Central Park Ave between Madison St and Franklin Blvd. Additionally, increased pedestrian refuge space will be installed at the main entrance to the Garfield Park Conservatory. The new protected bike lanes will connect to existing protected bike lanes on Franklin Blvd and Lake St, providing a comfortable route for biking to the Garfield Park Conservatory, Fieldhouse, and park space. The new protected bike lane is part of a growing network of bike infrastructure in the Garfield Park and Austin neighborhoods.
Clark – Hollywood to Devon
CDOT is upgrading the existing protected bike lane on Clark Street in the Edgewater neighborhood to concrete curb. The project will also feature a variety of new pedestrian and transit improvements, including new pedestrian crossings and refuge islands, side street bumpouts throughout the corridor, a bus-only lane for southbound CTA buses, and nine new bus boarding islands.
- One June 18, CDOT, 40th Ward Alderman Andre Vasquez, and 48th Ward Alderman Harry Osterman presented these improvements to the community.
Lake – Pulaski to Damen
CDOT will upgrade the existing protected bike lanes on Lake Street between Pulaski and Damen with new concrete curb. Between Kedzie and Damen, concrete curb will be incorporated with a street resurfacing project. West of Kedzie, pre-cast concrete curb will be installed.
Milwaukee – Addison to Irving Park
CDOT will upgrade the existing protected bike lanes on Milwaukee Avenue between Waveland and Irving Park with new pre-cast concrete curb and extend the protected bike lane south to Addison. Installation of the curb will be coordinated with ongoing construction of the Metra viaduct.
Polk – Damen to Ashland
CDOT will upgrade the existing protected bike lanes on Polk between Damen and Ashland with new concrete curb.
Pre-cast Concrete Curb Upgrades
CDOT will upgrade all existing protected bike lanes to concrete curb by the end of 2023. CDOT will utilize a combination of traditional concrete curbs as well as pre-cast curbs to allow for a quicker and more efficient implementation. The pre-cast curbs will be constructed in various sizes to allow for concrete curb separation on narrower protected bike lanes.
Corridors scheduled for new pre-cast concrete curbs include:
- Kinzie – Milwaukee to Wells
- Lake – Pulaski to Kedzie
- Logan – Rockwell to Diversey
- Independence – Douglas to Harrison
- Douglas – Independence to Sacramento
- 119th – Ashland to Halsted/Major Taylor Trail
- Broadway – Montrose to Wilson
Additional corridors coming soon.