We’ve added more Learn to Ride sessions to our class request form, extending the season into September. Find the new options and sign up by clicking here.
The free, two-hour classes taught by Chicago’s SAFE Ambassadors allow adults and children to learn, based on their experience level, the skills they need to be comfortable riding a bike. This year the Ambassadors are offering instruction in both English and Spanish to better meet the needs of city residents and serve more people. There are three class levels for summer 2022:
Beginner Learn to Ride is for those who don’t yet know how to ride a bike, as well as people who learned long ago and need a refresher course. Classes are taught on a car-free course.
Skill-Builder Learn to Ride is for people who have completed the beginner course and those who already have basic riding experience. These lessons support development of skills such as signaling, turning and interacting with other people biking or walking. This class will also be conducted on a car-free course.
Road Ride is the top-level class where SAFE Ambassadors ride with students on city streets to help them experience everyday situations and build confidence. Topics covered include how to plan routes to your destination, the different types of bike lanes, and how to position yourself on the street in various traffic situations.
Below are the dates, times and locations of all the 2022 Learn to Ride classes. If you don’t see some of these on the form, it’s because all available spots have been filled already:
Beginner Learn to Ride
- Tuesdays at La Villita Park, 2800 S. Sacramento Avenue: June 7, 14, 21, 28 from 6 to 8 p.m.; and August 16, 23, 30 from 5:30 to 7:30.
- Thursdays at the Divvy station at 500 N. Sacramento Boulevard: June 9, 23 from 6 to 8 p.m.; August 18, 25 from 5:30 to 7:30; September 1, 8, 15 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Saturdays at CAN TV, 1309 S. Wood Street: June 11, July 2, August 13 from 10 a.m. to noon or 1 to 3 p.m.; September 3, 17 from 10 a.m. to noon; and September 10 from 10 a.m. to noon or 1 to 3 p.m.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at Piotrowski Park, 4247 W. 31st Street: July 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, 28 and August 2, 4 from 6 to 8 p.m.; then August 9, 11 from 5:30 to 7:30.
- Saturdays at Harmony Community Church, 1908 S. Millard Avenue: July 9, 23 and August 6, 20 from 10 a.m. to noon: July 16 and August 27 from 10 a.m. to noon or 1 to 3 p.m.
Skill-Builder Learn to Ride
Wednesdays at La Villita Park, 2800 S. Sacramento Avenue: June 22 and July 6, 20 and August 3 from 6 to 8 p.m.; and August 17, 31 from 5:30 to 7:30.
Saturdays at Seward Park, 375 W. Elm Street: July 9, 23 and August 6, 20 and September 3, 17 from 1 to 3 p.m.
Free use of a Divvy bike is offered to students over age 16, although you can use your own bike for all courses. Reservations are required and granted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The easiest way to register is by filling out this form. If there are problems with the form, email 312SAFEbike@gmail.com, or text or call 773-312-3283 and leave a detailed message.